General Foreign Language Requirement

Foreign Language Requirement

In addition to University Core Curriculum requirements, any student who was admitted with a foreign language deficiency must successfully complete two semesters of sequential instruction in one foreign language prior to graduation.

Please note there are additional requirements for foreign language as a student in the College of Arts and Sciences.

Yes, there are two (2) Foreign Language Requirements:

Everyone at the University must fulfill the University FLENT/FLEX Foreign Language requirement. You probably took two years of a modern language in high school. If these courses were on your high school transcript, it would/should have been entered on in the FIU system and the Flent/Flex foreign language portion of the SASS will say "OK."

If the SASS still says "NO" and you have completed two years of a foreign language in high school, you need to check with an advisor to see what is missing.

Some academic units do not require anything in addition to the University's foreign language requirement. However the College of Arts & Sciences does require something in addition to high school credits.

There is ALSO a College of Arts and Sciences Foreign Language Requirement. Remember that Academic Units sometimes have requirements in addition to those set by the University. The big difference between the two language requirements is that two years of ordinary high school foreign language satisfies the University Foreign Language Requirement, but ordinary high school DOES NOT satisfy the College of Arts and Sciences Foreign Language Requirement.

The College's requirement is a competency requirement, not a credits requirement. That is to say the student must demonstrate competency at or exceeding that of someone passing a second semester college level foreign language course. This proficiency can be met by receiving credit for the second semester of a foreign language or higher (e.g., SPN 1131 or higher). Check with an advisor in the Department of Modern Languages as to the best way for you to meet this requirement.

The good news is that any course work which satisfies the College's Foreign Language Requirement will also satisfy the University's Foreign Language Requirement.

Please note:

There are other options to fulfilling the College of Arts and Sciences language requirements. Some students opt for taking alternative exams and receiving acceptable scores in:

  • The AP exam (with a minimum score of 4)
  • The CLEP exam (with a minimum score of 63)
  • The SAT II exam (with a minimum score of 699)

For more information on the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) designed to measure knowledge in certain subject areas of general education, including language, please contact the University Testing Center at (305) 348-2840 or go to