4 + 1 Combined BA / MA in Spanish
B.A. / M.A. - Admission Requirements
- Current Enrollment in the BA in Spanish at FIU.
- Current GPA must be 3.5 or higher.
To be considered for admission to the combined degree program, you must have completed at least 75 and no more than 90 credits in a bachelor’s degree program at FIU and meet the admissions criteria for the graduate degree program to which you are applying. The application must be submitted before starting the last 30 credits of your Bachelor’s degree program.
Please complete this Application Form and have the Graduate Program Director of the program sign it. Then submit the application along with a non-refundable $30.00 Application Fee, made payable to "Florida International University", to the Graduate Admissions Office, PC 230. Or via mail to FIU Graduate Admissions, P.O. Box 659004, Miami, FL 33265-9004
A copy of the application and the below listed items must be submitted to the Department of Modern Languages.
Please mail the necessary documents to:
Florida International University
Department of Modern Languages
11200 SW 8 ST, DM 499
Miami, Florida 33199
Attn: Graduate Studies Director
- Two letters of recommendation from professors in the Department of Modern Languages.
- A research paper on literary analysis in Spanish. The paper must follow the MLA style and must include an original argument with explication of the text (min. 7 pages not including references).
- A resume.
- A letter of intent, written in English, to pursue graduate studies.
- Approval of the Spanish Graduate Committee. Admission to the Combined BA-MA is competitive and meeting the minimum GPA requirements does not guarantee entrance into the program. The Spanish Graduate Committee will evaluate carefully all application materials and will make a decision based on the potential of the student to finish graduate work successfully. Special attention will be given to the quality of the writing sample.
If admitted to the combined program, you are expected to complete the bachelor’s degree by the end of the term indicated on the application and complete the master’s degree requirements within one year of completing the bachelor’s degree. Only 5000 level or higher courses and no more than 9 credits may be applied to both degree programs.