The Department of Modern Languages offers a variety of language and cultural based study abroad program during the Summer semester. Please see left for each program availability, details and appropriate contact person.
For more information and to learn about scholarships offered, please visit the Study Abroad website.
- China Study AbroadThis four-week program is designed to exceed your wildest imagination through full immersion in the heart of China. You will have the opportunity to gain (at the beginner level) or improve (at the intermediate level) your language skills in Mandarin Chinese through rigorous lessons. You will also learn about Chinese history, art, culture and economy. To help enhance your learning experience, be prepared to have daily interactions with a group of selected Chinese students of the host university and embark on multiple excursions within and around the city that will allow you to better understand the way of life in China. At the end of the program, you will have a stronger grasp of the language and a deeper appreciation of the Chinese culture.
For more information, please visit the China Study Abroad page.
- Asia Immersion in Japan
This summer study abroad program provides a wonderful opportunity for immersion not only in Japanese culture but also in other Asian cultures. With almost half of the faculty and student body comprised of foreign nationals, from all over Asia and other parts of the world, Asia Pacific University (Ritsumeikan) has a truly international campus environment of cultural coexistence. One of the program’s attractions is that APU students participate as “buddies” to help program participants. There are a few activities that can only be experienced through this program such as Hot-springs Tour and Farm Stay.
For more information, please visit the Asia Immersion in Japan Study Abroad Page.
- Intensive Language & Culture in Kyoto
The summer program is designed to provide a comprehensive introduction to Japanese language and culture. Program participants are immersed in an optimal environment for short-term intensive language study with the added benefits of cultural exchange and exploration. One of the program's attractions is that Ritsumeikan University students also participate as "buddies" and help in the Japanese classes as well as accompanying participants on most of the fieldwork excursions. Upon successful completion of the program, participants receive a Certificate of Completion listing hours of participation and grades for all courses taken.
For more information, please visit the Intensive Language & Culture in Kyoto Study Abroad page.
- FIU in Spain
The FIU in Spain program offers students the opportunity to live and study in Salamanca, a charming college town known for its Renaissance and Baroque architecture. The program includes field trips to Segovia, with a 2,000-year old Roman aqueduct; Madrid, visiting El Prado, Spain's most important museum; and Ávila, surrounded by its magnificent medieval walls that students may climb. And also, lots of free time and a lively nightlife! You won't find a better program with such a great price!
For more information, please visit the FIU in Spain Study Abroad page.
- FIU in Angers, France
FIU in Angers : French Language and Culture Immersion Program
Every summer B during the month of July, the Department of Modern Languages, in conjunction with FIU’s Office of Education Abroad, offers a full-immersion study program at the Université Catholique de l'Ouest, located in the Loire Valley in the town of Angers, about an hour and half from Paris by TGV high-speed train.
This immersion program in French language and culture is for University students who have preferably completed at least 5 hours of college level French (Basic French I), or have the equivalent proficiency in French. The Angers Program offers lower to upper-level courses in French language and culture.
For more information, please visit the FIU in Angers, France Study Abroad page.
- Summer A - Passport to Italy: Sicily
For more information, please visit the Passport to Italy: Sicily page.
- Summer B - Passport to Italy: The Enchanting Amalfi CoastThis month long program is designed for students who wish to learn or improve the Italian language, know more about the Italian culture and experience the Italian way of living. The Italian "dolce vita" will change your perspective and attitude and you will became more international and definitely more Italian.
For more information, please visit the Enchanting Amalfi Coast Study Abroad Page.
- Mini Fall: The Magic of Christmas Markets in Italy & Germany
This course introduces students to the traditional Christmas markets of South Tyrol and Bavaria also known as the 5 stars route. These markets reproduce a Christmas fairytale atmosphere and attract thousands of tourists every year. It is a feast not only of festive items, but also of artisan products, music, local food and the spicy vin brule’. Students will have the opportunity to discover a region in Italy that is not usually included in the “traditional” study abroad route and, at the same time, wander in the romantic road of Bavaria that lead to the enchanting Neuschwanstein Castle that has inspired numerous fairytales, appeared in several movies, and serves the inspiration for Disneyland’s Sleeping Beauty castle.
For more information, please visit the Magic of Christmas Markets in Italy & Germany Study Abroad Page.
- The Medieval Festival of Narnia
This course introduces students to the traditional Medieval Festivals of Central Italy that take place during the month of May. Specifically, students will live for one week the magical atmosphere of Narnia Festival “The Race of the Rings”. Moreover, students will visit several medieval cities in Central Italy and will taste the food from famous restaurants and taverne that serve food from original recipes from the past.
For more information, please visit the Medieval Festival of Narnia Study Abroad Page.
- Summer Portuguese Program in Porto Alegre
Information forthcoming. For updates, please visit the Florida International University Study Abroad page.