Now entering its 24th year, the Haitian Summer Institute is a six-week program designed for anyone interested in acquiring basic conversational proficiency in Haitian Creole and also for those students who wish to continue their Haitian Creole Language training at the intermediate and advanced levels. The FLAS-approved institute is held at FIU's Modesto Maidique Campus in Miami and culminates with an optional study abroad to Haiti, which provides participants with a unique opportunity to further immerse themselves in Haitian Creole while experiencing the country first-hand. The optional study abroad to Haiti is contingent upon current U.S. Department of State travel advisories.
The program begins with intensive Haitian Creole language training in Miami which is divided into two tracks. Students participating in the Miami portion have two enrollment options: Accelerated Beginning Haitian Creole for the first half of the Miami portion and Accelerated Intermediate Haitian Creole for the final half of the Miami portion, or Accelerated Intermediate Haitian Creole for the first half of the Miami portion and Accelerated Advanced Haitian Creole for the final half. In addition to the Institute's intensive language courses, participants are encouraged to take advantage of their time in Miami and explore Haitian history and culture through various public programs such as lectures by nationally-recognized Haitianists and Diasporic leaders, film screenings, concerts, technical training sessions and events in Miami's Little Haiti neighborhood. Classes in Miami are held Monday through Friday and include a morning and afternoon session. Housing is available on campus at an additional cost. The Miami portion of the Haitian Summer Institute is open to students from all levels, as well as non-traditional students and professionals.
The study abroad is designed to further expose students to Haiti, its culture and its people through a highly-structured two-week trip to Haiti. It may include time in the capital city of Port-au-Prince, as well as other areas of the country. Participation in the Study Abroad is optional and space is limited; priority is given to graduate and undergraduate FLAS Fellows and degree-seeking graduate students, although undergraduates, professionals, and non-traditional students are encouraged to apply. The 2021 Haitian Summer Institute program will not include the Haiti study abroad portion.
Due to the continuing COVID-19 pandemic and out of an abundance of caution with the health and well-being of our students and guests, the full six weeks will be completed online for Summer 2021. Virtual Program Overview
All applicants are encouraged to submit the application packet, along with the required supporting materials to Viroselie Caviedes at firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00pm on April 19, 2021 (Applications may be accepted after April 19, 2021, but space is not guaranteed).
Summer B Term: June 21 - July 30, 2021
Option 1 - 4 week program: June 21 - July 16 (6 credits)
Option 2 - 6 week program: June 21 - July 30 (9 credits, required for FLAS Fellows)
4-week program tuition & fees: $1,494.82 ($1233.42 tuition 6 credits + $261.40 program fees)
6-week program tuition & fees: $2,111.53 ($1850.13 tuition 9 credits + $261.40 program fees)
- Tuition - $1233.42 for 6 credits or $1850.13 for 9 credits due on or before June 29, 2021 (made payable via my.fiu.edu) *$100 Late Payment Fee assessed June 30, 2021
- Program Cost- $261.40 due on or before May 24, 2021 (made payable via my.fiu.edu) *$100 Late Payment Fee assessed May 25, 2021
- Non-degree-seeking Application fee- $30.00 Non-FIU students only
FLAS Fellowship Information:
- Program Length: 6 weeks
- Contact Hours: June 21-July 30, 2021: Classes held 5 days/week for 5 hours per day=150 hours
- Budget Breakdown: $2,141.53 tuition & fees + $2,500.00 stipend.
- HAI 3213 Accelerated Beginning Haitian Creole
- HAI 3214 Accelerated Intermediate Haitian Creole
- HAI 3500 Haiti: Language & Culture (Advanced Haitian Creole)
- FOL 3905 Advanced Haitian Creole Literature
- K-12 Educator Grant - Deadline is April 19, 2021
- Summer 2020 FLAS Fellowship - Deadline is January 1, 2021
- 2021 Haitian Summer Institute Application - Deadline is April 19, 2021
Sample Course Syllabi:
- HAI 3213 Course Syllabus - Beg-Int track
- HAI 3214 Course Syllabus - Beg-Int track
- FOL 3905 Course Syllabus - Beg-Int track
- HAI 3214 Course Syllabus - Int-Adv track
- HAI 3500 Course Syllabus - Int-Adv track
- FOL 3905 Course Syllabus - Int-Adv track
Excellence in Global Learning Medallion
The Haitian Summer Institute fulfills 5 out of 20 points required for the Global Learning Medallion Activity requirement.
Please click here for more information.
- 21st Annual Haitian Summer Institute
- 20th Annual Haitian Summer Institute
- 19th Annual Haitian Summer Institute
- 18th Annual Haitian Summer Institute
- 17th Annual Haitian Summer Institute
- 16th Annual Haitian Summer Institute
Haitian Summer Institute Study Abroad Suspension Contingency Plan
Based on its assessment of in-country conditions leading up to the Institute, FIU LACC retains the right to suspend the study abroad to Haiti at any time. In the event that unpredictable conditions in Haiti prevent the group from traveling to the country, LACC's FLAS-approved contingency plan will be implemented. More specifically, the Haitian Summer Institute will extend the Miami-based portion of the Institute and its faculty will continue to offer intensive Haitian Creole language training at Florida International University. Both instructors will follow an extended pre-approved syllabus that consists of intensive language instruction Monday-Friday for 5 hours/day for the remaining two weeks of the six-week Institute. FIU Housing contracts will also be extended for an additional two weeks and students will be charged accordingly. Any financial savings that are not reallocated to cover unanticipated expenses due to any decision to suspend travel to Haiti may result in refunds being processed by FIU, based on initial program payment method. View full Haitian Summer Institute Study Abroad Suspension Contingency Plan here.
For More Information:
Haitian Summer Institute, Academic Programs
Kimberly Green Latin American and Caribbean Center
Florida International University
Modesto A. Maidique, DM 353
Miami, Florida 33199