Spanish Heritage Language Program
Quick Program Overview
Mission Statement [+ More info]
The Spanish Heritage Language (SHL) program is an initiative of the Modern Languages Department to meet the needs and interests of the Spanish heritage language learner.
Goals [+ More info]
- We want to build on Spanish Heritage Language Learners’ proficiency and expand their skills.
- We want to explore topics related to their cultural background.
- We want to engage students in collaborative learning both inside and outside of the class.
Who is a Heritage Language Learner? [+ More info]
- Somebody who grew up speaking (or maybe just listening to) Spanish.
- Their proficiency level may range from very high (being able to communicate very efficiently) to low (being able to understand a lot but with more trouble to speak).
- We seek to help these students develop their oral and written skills, and the registers of use.
Courses [+ More info]
- Our program has two main courses so far:
- SPN 2340. INTERMEDIATE SPANISH FOR HERITAGE SPEAKERS. (GL course)
- SPN 3343. ADVANCED SPANISH FOR HERITAGE SPEAKERS. (GL course)
These courses count toward the Global Learning (GL) graduation requirement.
To determine what class to enroll in, please take the placement test.
Login password: panther
Some of our students’ projects
Frequently Asked Questions [+ More info]
Follow us on Instagram! IG handle: @FIUSHL
Marisa Filgueras-Gómez, PhD
Deuxieme Maison (DM) 496